Tuesday, September 10, 2013

One month in, this is what I know: San Francisco

I have officially lived in San Francisco as a DV for one month.
This is what I know so far:
  • 99% of the people I live and work with are very committed to their job/ministry... Workaholics.
  • Not sure if the San Fran hills will ever become 'normal' to me.
  • I miss my friends and family more than I thought I would.
  • 10 hour days are exhausting.
  • This is the farthest west I have ever been. Before this, it was Minneapolis.
  • I have yet to see the entirity of the Golden Gate Bridge. There's always a cloud sitting on top of it.
  • The sisters are interesting people to live with; they're normal people like everyone else, which for some reason surprised me.
  • Wisconsin beer and Wisconsin cheese cannot be beat.
  • I know all the names of my students.
  • The Californians have an accent-- I'm starting to pick it up.
  • Spent more than my $100/month stipend... by the third week.
  • California tax is like %10, lot's more than the 5.5% in Wisconsin.
  • Sports teams are a way to connect with my Midwest homeland-- GO BADGERS and PACKERS!
  • The weather is weird.
  • So. Much. Fog.
  • I miss Chamber Singers... I miss ukulele... I miss Unaccompanied... I miss music.
  • In and Out is a really yummy fast food restaurant in California.
  • I need to find a community outside of my ministry.
  • Should have brought more clothes.
  • In order to wake up early, one must go to bed early.
  • There are so many things teachers have to do-- I never realized this as a student .
  • Living where you work has perks. It's also not-so-good.
  • Tourists are the same wherever you go.
  • There's so much to do in this city and I've only done a small portion of it.
  • I have yet to see a cow that is happier than one in Wisconsin.
  • Definitely reminded that every person has a unique story that is completely their own.
  • Tomorrow is always a new day.
  • Finally understand BART and I'm improving with the busses.
  • Clipper cards are the best.
  • Teaching is a constant performance.
  • I miss Edgewood and being a college student.
  • Haven't figured out how to be a fun authority figure that students can also respond to and feel connected to.
  • I wear a watch everyday.
  • My bed is made nearly everyday and I keep my room clean and orderly. This has never happened.
  • The sun still shines in California... and you can get a pretty bad sunburn from it.
  • Committment to social justice looks a lot different in the real world than inside a college classroom.

1 comment:

  1. "Should have brought more clothes"... Yup. Me too.
    "In order to wake up early, one must go to bed early"... I don't think I've seen 11 PM more than once this month.

    Looks like you are having a great time! Miss you and can't wait to see you at Midyear! -Bailey

    ReplyDelete