I recently returned from my second trip to
Guatemala. Thank you for your love, support, donations, thoughts, and prayers—it
was all greatly appreciated and it all helped make my
travel to Guatemala another amazing experience.
What I did…
Similar
to my trip last year, I went with a group of 16 students from Edgewood. For the
majority of the trip, we stayed at a ranch in the Santa Rosa area of Southern
Guatemala. “Kico’s Ranch,” is owned/operated by Enrique ‘Kico’ Gandara who is a
US and Guatemalan citizen and is also on the Edgewood Board of Trustees—he’s a great
guy! Each year, he hosts multiple medical missions and service trips at the
Ranch.
While
at the Ranch, we volunteered at the Oliveros School (where I volunteered last
year) and spent two days at the San Rafael School (a new addition to the trip).
Last year, in our fundraising, we raised money for the Oliveros School to build
a new classroom. This year, we raised enough money to put in a cement floor and
windows to that classroom as well as new paint and fencing for the San Rafael
School. On a regular day, we would go to the school in the morning and either
assist the masons or work/play with the kids.
The greatest lesson…
While
we were at the Ranch, Kico hired 4 Special Forces Guatemalan Police (with huge
M16 guns) to protect us. Although the Ranch is in a relatively safe area of
rural Guatemala, he hires these guards for every medical mission or service
trip due to all the supplies and equipment that is around.
Throughout the week, the guards became more comfortable with us and we became more comfortable with them. As they witnessed our loving interactions with the kids, slowly, they too began interacting with us and the kids from Oliveros. I vividly remember one of the last days as we were getting ready to leave the school for the day, I saw a group of boys huddled around one of the guards. They were joking, asking questions, smiling, just having a great time. I’ll never forget observing that change, firsthand. To see the guards go from standing on the edge of the property, to playing with the kids in a matter of days was really cool.
.
![]() |
| The group on the Pacaya Volcano |
![]() |
| Teaching a little English and learning a little Spanish |
| The San Rafael Girls |
| Dai and Andrea |
| My second graders! :) |
| The guards |



No comments:
Post a Comment