I love the Lenten season: the 40 days leading up to Easter. Sounds strange, I know. It's the community building within the 40 days-- we're all in this together sort of thing. It's because it's really the only time of year where I feel like I have super-strength powers-- I can go for 40 days without desserts or even facebook. It's the weather... it's almost spring! It's the one of the few times a year I consciously try to renew my relationship with God.
Below is my reflection for this year on these next 40 days...
Lent.
What’s it all about?
Why is it so important?
What are we
supposed to do?
Do I really have to give up desserts?
When I look outside, I see the gloom of an
everlasting winter. The snow is half-melted and dirty, the trees are lonely and
bare, and our cars are crusted with salt. Oh, let’s not forget about the
constant cold and awful rain, slush, sleet, and snow we’ve had recently.
Every day, I walk to school—it’s about a 25-minute
walk. So, every day this semester, to make the walk more enjoyable I crank up
the tunes on my ipod. However, yesterday, in the rush of getting to school, I
forgot to get out my ipod. About half way through the walk, I realized that I
wasn’t listening to music… and surprisingly, the rest of the walk wasn’t so
bad. Even though I didn’t have my music to keep me going, it was so nice to
just have 25 minutes to myself. It was so nice to just walk in silence. I was
able to reflect on my day and the million things I had to finish. When I got to
school, I was ready and determined to conquer my day. And let me tell you, I
was so productive yesterday!
...Coincidence?
During my daily walks on my commute to
school, I try to remember what it’s like outside in the spring. Every now and
then I see a small chunk of grass peaking out through the snow and am reminded,
there’s still a glimmer of hope, a small speck of light at the end of the
tunnel: spring is on its way.
Honestly, when thinking about Lent, the first
thing that comes to my mind is: no dessert. That’s my go-to thing that I give
up for Lent every year. I, like many people, love desserts—Trader Joe’s Dark
Chocolate is my favorite, then there’s cookies, cake, Reese’s Peanut Butter
Cups, and of course McDonald’s always has Shamrock Shakes during this time!
To me, though, Lent is not just about penance
and giving something up—TV, desserts,
facebook, soda—hey, it’s nice that you feel better from the less sugar that
you’re eating, or the more productive you are without social media. But really, Lent to me
is a very spiritual time. It’s a time to pray, it’s a time to listen to God,
it’s a time to reflect on the light at the end of the tunnel. The glimmer of
hope that comes after 40 days of gloom: Jesus dies, Jesus rises, Jesus will
come again. That realization gets us through these 40 days, just like the hope
for spring coming gets us through the cold winter.
During this Lenten season, I’m going to keep
my ipod off during my walks to school and take that silent time for me. Each
day, it will get warmer and sunnier as the Wisconsin winter rolls into spring. And
each day, I’ll listen to God in the silence of my walk.
And so, I’d love to leave you with an
inspiring quote. But, instead, I will leave you with something more: just… a
moment of silence.
No comments:
Post a Comment