Sunday, December 1, 2013

Honest Advent Reflection

Is anyone else baffled at the fact that it is already December? Wowza! 

As I was shopping for some Kris Kringle (Secret Santa) gifts today in Union Square, I noticed all the Christmas decorations scattered about. It took me a moment to process this... "I woke up this morning and saw on my phone that it said December 1. I'm shopping for my Christmas gifts. Holiday decorations are up. It's sunny and warm. I'm outside in jeans and a T-shirt. (long pause) This doesn't make sense." 

I'm a true Wisconsin girl: Christmas is coming when the weather gets snowy and cold. That has been my mantra my whole life, how I know when to anticipate the Holiday season... based on the weather. This new weather climate in San Francisco is throwing me for a loop-- I haven't been able to anticipate what is to come. It just doesn't feel right. Literally, it feels warm when my mind says that it should feel like Wisconsin winter. It just doesn't seem like we should be watching A Charlie Brown Christmas, singing carols, shopping for presents, or searching for the best egg nog recipe. With that, it feels like there's no need for preparation or anticipation. Have I ever lived in a mild climate during the winter time? Nooope. Is it feasible to anticipate and prepare for the season in this weather? Yeah, probably. 

Today not only marks the first day of December, but also the first day of Advent-- a time of preparation and anticipation for Christians. 

Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't think I truly celebrate Advent the way the Catholic faith intends. There's more to Advent than just some candles and a wreath at church, which is like one of the only things I think of when it comes to Advent. See, Advent comes at a tricky time. It's always at the crazy end of the semester... finals, lack of nutrition, papers, tests, ugly sweater cookie parties, lack of sleep. In theory, though, during Advent there's supposed to be some fasting going on, saving Christmas music and cookies for actual Christmas day, increased prayer, more good works. Have I ever done that during Advent? Nooope. Is it feasible? Yeah, probably.

This climate doesn't feel quite right for the season and real Advent doesn't feel quite right. My time abroad especially taught me this lesson-- my way may not always be the right way; different ways of doing things are not worse or bad.  

Now, even though I'm no longer a student (Real[ish] world! Yeah!), I am still starting to feel the rush begin-- stressing about everything at work that needs to happen before leaving for Winter Break. However, this year during the rush, I'm going to try to challenge myself. Can I try to consciously live in the true Advent spirit? Have I done it before? Nooope. Is it feasible? Can I do it? Yeah, probably. We shall see!  

No comments:

Post a Comment