Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Go Bananas!

For the last week, I have been traveling all around Ireland with my new friends. 

I saw a lot of Ireland, met many people from all over the world, and I've even learned a few German words! :) Baum! (It means 'tree'... Really useful... heheh)

The deal with Laura and Sarah is as they learn new American English words and phrases from me, I will learn German words and phrases from them. One day I couldn't think of any super useful phrase to teach them, so I taught them "That's what she said" and "Go Bananas!" We've actually used "go bananas" a lot. Still working on "that's what she said."

We also started playing the game: "Spot the American"... but I'll explain that in another post. 

Onto the traveling...

After Derry was Donegal, then Galway, then Dublin (and a day trip to Avoca), and back to Belfast.

Instead of going into a litany on the travels, I'll just highlight the fun parts:

Donegal:

Donegal was a typical small Irish town with a beautiful lake. Our hostel was like a billion miles away from the town (only like a 20 minute walk). Instead of walking on the road, we found a scenic route along the lake. Along the walk, we met a local guy and his 3 (super cute) kids and their dog. The 4 of us sat along the water to watch the sun set. Ahh sooo beautiful!!

Galway:

On Sunday, while the others went on a tour, I went to church and roamed around the town. I bought some real shoes and a real backpack. Now I'm a REAL 'traveler'! In the hostel, we shared a room with a computer engineer from Derry (he talked in his sleep) and a lady from France that would randomly appear in the room when we didn't hear her come in. Magic? 

Cliffs of Moher

No words can fully describe the Cliffs. Like, seriously. Ahhmazing. 

Avoca

The location of my favorite BBC show, Ballykissangel, was everything I imagined it would be. Just a DARLING little town. I met some of the locals in the shops and met a crew of older people from Northern Ireland that were touring around. We chatted over a Guinness in the local pub, Fitzgerald's. I was super nervous to go to the middle-of-nowhere-Ireland by myself. It was also a little difficult to get there by bus and I almost got stuck there, but a local lady took me under her wing and drove me to a nearby town so I could get back to Dublin without walking or hitchhiking. I'm so grateful for her!! 

Dublin:

My stay in Dublin was way too short due to my day trip to Avoca. However, while I was there, I went to 2 tourist-y pubs with Sarah and Laura to enjoy some live music. At the hostel, we had a little guitar session where a few of the people staying (including me) played and sang a little. Such a great night to end the voyage around Ireland with some real music! 


This short trip before the semester begins was AWESOME. I met some really interesting people and saw a lot of amazing things. (AND... Only had a couple stressful/cranky moments!)

I also crossed like 6 things off my Bucket List! :) 

Stay tuned for more awesome-ness! 


























1 comment:

  1. your trips look awesome mp!! enojying reading about your experiences!!! :) miss you!!! <3 b

    ReplyDelete