Before school starts at the end of September, a few new friends (Katrin, Sarah, and Laura - all from Germany) and I decided to travel around Ireland. Belfast to Derry to Donegal to Gallway to Dublin and back to Belfast. It's super easy to get from town to town by bus and of course we walk around the towns as well.
The first stop: Londonderry/Derry
... It was Legen(wait-for-it)Derry :)
As with most cities in Northern Ireland, this city especially came with a deep history of struggle between the Protestants and Catholics. The divide, although no longer as violent, still continues today. You can see the effects of this conflict on many buildings and walls, as most were covered in some sort of mural or political graffiti.
Notable moments on my visit to Derry:
- My guidebook told me that it was here that the tune 'Londonderry Air' (or 'Danny Boy') was written. I could almost faintly hear it being sung as I admired the beautifully green landscape.
- The walk on the city wall helped us see most of the city. The wall circles around the City Centre (or 'downtown').
- We found a secondhand book store run by a grumpy old man. He fit right into the store. It was so cute. The store, although very small in size, had EVERYTHING. I found a 'US Catholic' magazine from 1966 featuring some Latin American liberation theology, which was just emerging at that time! So cool! (or 'awesome' as I say ALL the time, according to my new friends)
- Met some Canadians, eh, at the hostel.
- We enjoyed some traditional Irish music at a local bar over a Guinness and met Joe (or Joey, or something) from Australia.
- The Civil Rights Museum was my favorite part in Derry. Very eye-opening and a bit emotional. Even though it was quite simple and small, the museum exhibited stories, real posters, banners, songbooks, and even clothes from The Troubles, specifically 'Bloody Sunday'. On Bloody Sunday, 17 people (most around my age) were brutally killed during a protest fighting for basic rights.
This experience is yet another reminder of the privileges I have. I've never had to fight for basic rights or even think about it! It's amazing that so many people have died and continue to die for things I often take for granted. It's a lot to think about...
For now, I'll leave you with a beautiful poem I found in the museum:
Rise like lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number -
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - They are few.










: )
ReplyDelete